I’m here to bring you yet another lush pancake recipe! This recipe is comfort on a plate – warm and wholesome whole grain pancakes made using whole wheat flour, coconut sugar and steel-cut oats.
I love this recipe because it takes plain and simple pancakes to the next level to create something so comforting and satiating. As you know, I am not a big fan of pancakes (dun-dun-dun!). I know it’s a crime to admit, but I’ve mentioned many-a-time that I find them too plain and boring. It’s no coincidence that they come loaded with maple syrup or chocolate sauce if you ask me; in a vicious attempt to add some flavour to the too plain patty. To tell the truth, I’ve felt this way about pancakes ever since I was a kid. Not sure whether that makes it better or worse? Was a pancake snob from birth!? Regardless the history, I’ve made an oath to only provide you wholesome and delicious pancakes full of flavour here on TWO SPOONS. Breakfast pancakes that are satiating and full of flavour, with maple syrup to remain an option, but not a must.
So here is yet another delicious pancake recipe: Whole grain pancakes topped with coconut yogurt, and fresh seasonal berries. I like to imagine this is what Meghan Markle was served for breakfast the day after her royal wedding. Because it is royalty! This recipe proves we don’t need a tiara to brunch like a princess.
Another reason I love this recipe is because it keeps you satiated. Sorry to keep bashing the classic pancake, but they aren’t really a breakfast that sticks with you. I could eat until my stomach aches and somehow an hour and a half later my tummy is grumbling for more food! These wholesome pancakes however are quite the contrary. The steel-cut oats in this mix is one that’s going to keep you full and satiated for hours. Think of it like a porridge in pancake form!
As you can see, I’ve also made these pancakes GIANT! I know it’s more typical to pile them high, but I just love sitting down to a massive pancake smothered in coconut yogurt and berries! Each bite has the perfect ratio of berries to pancake and yogurt. But if you prefer them smaller than I say go for it! The recipe will work just the same.
So this sunday dive into some sweet and wholesome whole grain pancakes! I’ m sure you will love them as much as I do. Nothing stacks up to this pancake recipe full of flavour – hold the maple syrup please! Because these pancakes are flippin delicious! 😉
Whole Grain Pancakes with Berries and Coconut Yogurt
- 1 cup raspberries
- 1 cup strawberries chopped
- 3/4 cups coconut yogurt (or other vegan yogurt of choice)
- maple syrup to drizzle
- In a saucepan add 1 cup steel cut oats to 2 1/2 cups water. Bring to a boil, then reduce to simmer and let cook for 15-20 minutes, or until soft and porridge consistency.
- Make your chia egg: Add 1 tbsp ground chia to 3 tbsp water and mix to combine. Let rest at least 5 minutes. In a separate bowl mix almond milk and apple cider vinegar to make "butter milk", let rest 5 minutes. Then combine chia egg and buttermilk and whisk to incorporate.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk dry ingredients: whole wheat and all purpose flour, coconut sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Add liquid mixture and stir to just combine. Pour in steel cut oats and mix well.
- Bring a non-stick pan to medium heat with a dollop of coconut oil. When hot, pour a generous amount of batter into the skillet and cook pancake for 5 minutes on each side, or until golden and cooked through. Continue until you've used all your batter. (Makes approx. 6-8 giant pancakes total)
- Top pancakes with coconut yogurt and freshly cut berries. Drizzle with maple syrup.
VEGAN – VEGETARIAN – DAIRY-FREE – SOY-FREE