Looking for a cozy dinner recipe to get you through these cold winter days? I’ve got you covered with this dreamy and Creamy Vegan Mushroom Risotto. With just 10 ingredients and under 40 minutes to make from start to finish, this risotto can be yours.
This recipe is so creamy and comforting. It’s simple enough to make for a mid-week dinner, yet decadent enough for entertaining. And vegan or not, everyone will love this satiating bowl.
The risotto is rich, thick and creamy, with garlicky and cheesy flavour. Topped with pan-fried mushrooms cooked in balsamic vinegar really brings the umami to this dish.
All-in-all, this is an unforgettable recipe that you’ll have on repeat. Serve as your main dish, and watch it go down all too easy.
Now, let me tell you how to make this Creamy Vegan Mushroom Risotto.
Vegan Mushroom Risotto Recipe
The ingredients for this recipe are simple and straight forward. And you might already have them in your pantry/fridge.
For this risotto you will need:
- coconut oil
- sea salt
- arborio rice
- vegetable broth
- nutritional yeast
- balsamic vinegar
- parsley, to sprinkle
As you can see, the ingredients are simple and straight forward. With nothing finicky or strange, which is why I have given it my skeptic stamp of approval.
What is nutritional yeast?
The only ingredient you might not be familiar with in this recipe is nutritional yeast. Now, if you’re new to vegan cooking than say hello to magical vegan staple!
Nutritional yeast is used a lot in vegan cooking to bring cheesy umami flavour to dishes. You can enjoy it sprinkled on popocorn and avocado toast, or use it to make vegan Alfredo, Mac and cheese and cashew based cheeses. And of course, this vegan mushroom risotto.
Certainly, it’s a pantry must-have for a plant-based diet. But even the non-vegans can appreciate just how tasty this seasoning is. In fact, Bon Appetit coined nutritional yeast as “nature’s cheeto dust.”
In addition, we can feel good about adding nutritional yeast to our diet, because it’s really healthy. Turns out, nutritional yeast is given its name for the exact reason that it’s full of protein, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
How to make mushroom risotto
Contrary to popular belief, making risotto is actually really easy and straight-forward!
This mushroom risotto begins by sautéing onion and garlic, then adding arborio rice and pouring in vegetable broth in batches as it thickens.
Really, it’s the fact that we need to stir the risotto often, and keep a close watch that’s the hardest part about making risotto. But really, that’s not a hard task to do.
As for the mushrooms, we will cook this in a separate skillet with a bit of oil, sea salt and balsamic. You can do this at the same time your rice is cooking. It’s easy to watch over the two, and stir as needed.
Tips for this recipe
In fact, my top trick to getting perfect risotto is to keep stirring!
Stirring the rice helps to release the starches, which results in a creamier risotto. If you don’t stir, the rice will likely become a thick solid mixture. And likely will bind to the bottom of the pot. We don’t want that!
So, if I can give you any advice for making this risotto, it’s to keep a close watch, and stir often.
As for what type of rice to use for making risotto? There are three types of recommended rice, and my favourite is arborio. It’s starchy and creamy, and relatively easy to find at most generic grocery stores. I also like to use it to make rice pudding.
Other recipes you might like
If you’re digging this recipe, you might also like these comforting dishes:
- Stuffed Baked Potatoes with Mushroom and Spinach
- Healthy Balsamic Mushrooms
- Eggplant and Lentil Meatballs
So there we have it, a very simple Vegan Mushroom Risotto recipe that’s creamy, comforting and full of umami flavour. It’s easy to make, with just 10 ingredients and minimal effort.
Certainly, anyone can make this easy risotto. Enjoy as a comforting dinner recipe with your loved ones, or serve for a night of vegan entertaining. This recipe is sure to please all eaters.
And, if you do make this recipe please let me know in the comments below what you think! I love hearing from you. And of course, tag me on Instagram with the hashtag #twospoons. Nothing makes me happier than to see your recreations.
Creamy Mushroom Vegan Risotto
For the risotto:
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- pinch sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/3 cup parsley , chopped
For the balsamic mushrooms:
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 16 oz cremini mushrooms (2 boxes), sliced
- pinch sea salt
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Add the coconut oil to a large pot with the onion, garlic, and sea salt. Bring to medium heat and cook stirring often until softened, 10 minutes.
- Pour in the arborio rice and toast until the grains become lightly perfumed, 2 to 3 minutes. Pour in the vegetable broth, starting with 2 cups, and adding more in splashes as it thickens. (I find 5 cups total to be the perfect amount!). Cook stirring often until the risotto is soft and pleasantly chewy, 20-30 minutes. Add the nutritional yeast and stir to combine.
- While the risotto is cooking, make the Balsamic Mushrooms: Add the coconut oil to a large skillet with the sliced mushrooms and sea salt. Bring to medium heat. Cook the mushrooms until beautifully browned and the liquid is almost entirely reduced, 12 minutes. Then reduce heat to low and pour in the balsamic vinegar. Stir and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the balsamic mushrooms to the cooked risotto. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and stir everything to combine. Serve the risotto in bowls.
VEGAN – VEGETARIAN – WHEAT-FREE – GLUTEN-FREE – DAIRY-FREE – SOY-FREE – NUT-FREE