I couldn’t be MORE excited to share this delicious Vegan Crunchwrap Supreme recipe with you! Oh my goodness, this vegan crunchwrap supreme is fully loaded! Made with homemade vegan queso, vegan “ground meat,” crunchy tortilla, lettuce, salsa, tomatoes and avocado. Wrapped neatly together and pan-fried into a crispy, hand-held tortilla pocket.
All-in-all the recipe is easy to make, requires minimal ingredients, protein-packed, and is full of flavour. It literally is a gift of all feasts, especially to those who love warm, comforting, Mexican-inspired dishes.
Now, I’m not going to make you wait any longer in learning how to make this supreme vegan crunchwrap. So let’s get into it!
Vegan Crunchwrap Supreme Recipe
This Vegan Crunchwrap Supreme recipe is:
- warm and comforting
- protein-packed from vegan “ground meat”
- fully-loaded with vegetables
- easy to make
- requires minimal ingredients
- pleases all eaters, including the vegan skeptics!
- you can eat it with your hands! No utensils!
I hope this description is giving you all the happy feels. All-in-all it’s a stellar recipe that I know your family will adore. Mr. Two Spoon’s absolutely loves this recipe and has been requesting it in our weekly rotation ever since.
If you ask me, what makes this recipe so delicious is the inner “crunch!” from the layer of tortilla chips – hence the name, “Crunchwrap!” The textures of soft and crunchy really elevates this recipe to the next level, in addition to the delicious flavour (cheesy, creamy and savoury!).
How to Make a Vegan Crunchwrap Supreme:
So, you’re probably wondering how on earth to make a vegan crunchwrap supreme? How does one package up all those layers into a neat hand-held tortilla pocket!?
Prepared to be wowed by just how simple it is….
Prepare the ingredients so you’re ready to go:
It’s helpful to prepare all the ingredients in advance. Start by preparing the homemade queso (if you are making it yourself. You can also use store-bought).
For this recipe, I’ve used my homemade vegan queso recipe. It takes minutes to make and I highly reccomend it for optimal taste.
Fry up the vegan “ground meat” (such as Lightlife, Beyond Meat, or Yves) with some taco spice. See this article from Kitchn for the best vegetarian meat substitutes if you don’t already have a favourite. I used Lightlife.
Alternatively, you could use extra-firm tofu for this recipe, breaking it up with your hands into “ground meat” chunks for similar consistency and frying up with the taco spice.
Finally, chop the veggies: tomatoes, lettuce, and cilantro, and mash the avocado with a fork.
Build the vegan crunchwrap supremes:
To build the crunchwraps, add the ingredients to the centre of a large (10-inch) tortilla, starting with the vegan queso, followed by the vegan ground meat, a layer or tortilla chips, tomatoes, lettuce, cilantro, and avocado.
Now, I always find that the tortillas aren’t large enough to fold over and cover the contents inside – even when using the large 1o-inch tortillas available at the grocery store. (They’re just not as big as the restaurant ones). So, I like to also buy some small, 5-inch tortilla wraps to place in the middle. It provides the perfect coverage to seal everything together when folding the tortilla inwards to make the pocket.
(If you can’t find small 5-inch tortilla wraps, you can cut two 10-inch tortillas into quarters and use those to place in the centre. You don’t need a big piece. The recipe requires 6 large tortilla wraps to make 6 Crunchwraps. So you’d need 8 large tortillas in total).
Next, we will take the wrapped tortilla pocket and fry it in a light drizzle of olive oil, (folded side down on the the skillet), until it’s golden brown and sealed together. About 2 to 3 minutes.
The heat from warming the tortillas will seal the folds together. Nothing else needed! Flip and brown the other side until golden. Then transfer to a plate and cut in half to reveal the gorgeous layers inside.
You just learned how to make epic vegan crunchwraps! Pretty simple, hey? Especially given just how delicious they taste! Honestly, the hardest part about the recipe is the chopping of ingredients.
Continue building the crunchwraps with the remaining ingredients until you’ve used them all up. (The recipe makes 6 crunchwraps in total). Then, enjoy your much deserved food coma.
Other recipes you might like:
If you’re digging this Vegan Crunchwrap Supreme, you might also like these:
- Sweet Potato Black Bean Enchiladas
- Black Bean Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Cauliflower Nachos
- Fully Loaded Black Bean Nachos
So, that’s how we make Vegan Crunchwrap Supremes! They are fully-loaded, flavourful, protein-packed and veggie-packed. It’s vegan comfort food that is simple to make, packaged up into a hand-held tortilla pocket making it great for kids and adults alike. Vegan or not, everyone can get on board with this comforting recipe.
If you do make this recipe please let me know in the comments below what you think! I truly love hearing from you, and I’m always here to answer any questions you might have. And of course, tag me on Instagram with your pictures using the hashtag #twospoons. Nothing makes me happier than to see your recreations.
Vegan Crunchwrap Supreme
- 1 cup homemade vegan queso (or use store-bought)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 12 oz vegan "ground meat"
- 4 tsp taco seasoning
- 6 large 10-inch tortillas
- 6 small 5-inch tortillas (or two more 10-inch tortillas cut into quarters).
- 1-2 cups tortilla chips
- ½ cup salsa
- ½ cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup iceberg lettuce grated
- ¼ cup cilantro leaves chopped
- 2 avocados mashed
- olive oil for drizzling
- If using the homemade Cashew Queso, make this now. (Alternatively you can use store-bought).
- Melt the coconut oil in a large skillet on medium-heat, then add the vegan "ground meat" and taco seasoning. Cook until browned and combined, about 5 to 7 mins. Transfer to a bowl and side aside. Prepare all your ingredients, if you haven't already for building.
- Build the crunchwrap: Place a large tortilla on a work surface. Layer the centre with a bit of vegan queso leaving about 1.5-2 inches around the edges for folding. Then top the next layer with vegan "ground meat", nachos (placed side-by-side with the tip facing inwards to make a circle shape), salsa, chopped tomatoes, lettuce, cilantro and smashed avocado. *(See images in the blog post under, "How to Make a Crunchwrap Supreme," for a visual, if helpful).
- Top with the small tortilla and fold in the edges of the large tortilla over to close. *(If using only 10-inch tortillas, instead of the small 5-inch tortillas, cut a 10-inch tortilla into quarters and place a quarter piece into the centre of your crunchwrap. Fold in the edges of the large tortilla over to close).
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in the large (cleaned) skillet on medium heat and place the crunch wrap seam-side down, cook for 2 to 3 minutes until the exterior is firm and golden brown, flip and cook the other side until golden. Cut and serve.
- Continue making crunchwraps in Step 3, 4 and 5 until you’ve used all the ingredients.
VEGAN – VEGETARIAN – SOY-FREE – SUGAR-FREE
Pin it on Pinterest!
Save this Pin for later! Pin it on Pinterest!