Hiya friends! I’m starting the week with this comforting and warming vegan stuffed peppers recipe! This is a classic stuffed pepper recipe, made vegan. It’s healthy and satiating, vibrant and flavourful. And it’s an easy weeknight dinner recipe that you can whip together effortlessly.
Stuffed with rice, plant-based ground (like Beyond Meat, Impossible or Lightlife. Or sub with lentils), and my melty vegan mozzarella cheese! This recipe convinces even the vegan skeptic that there’s truly no compromise on taste when it comes a plant-based diet.
So, let me tell you exactly how to make these stuffed peppers so that you can enjoy them pronto!
Vegan Stuffed Peppers Recipe
For this recipe you will need:
- bell peppers
- coconut oil
- yellow onion
- Plant-Based Ground (such as Lightlife, Beyond Meat, or Impossible), or cooked green/brown lentils
- Italian seasoning
- cooked rice
- tomato sauce
- homemade Vegan Mozzarella Cheese (or store-bought)
- fresh basil
- sea salt and pepper
Now, you may have noticed that I’m using a vegan “mock meat” for this recipe. I used the plant-based ground by Lightlife in the stuffing. There are so many good vegan meat brands on the market now, which taste so much like the real deal that you’re truly not compromising on taste.
Which is why I have given this recipe my Skeptic approval stamp.
Every time I serve this recipe to non-vegan friends and family, the response is unanimous: “it tastes exactly like the real thing!” That’s a vegan win right there.
Now, I know that some people are opposed to eating mock-meats because they aren’t considered “whole foods.” Certainly they more processed than other vegan protein sources like beans, tofu and nuts.
So, if you prefer to avoid mock-meats in your diet altogether simply sub for brown or green lentils to replace the plant-based ground.
1.5 cups = 1 package plant-based ground.
Then, follow the recipe the same. 🙂
Now, we don’t eat these mock meats on a daily basis, but they are great alternative to enjoy from time to time, especially when serving to meat-eaters (And if you ask me, vegan meats are no worse than animal-based meats when you factor in health, humanity and the environment). For me it’s a no brainer which is the better option.
Vegan Stuffed Peppers: Tips & Notes
Vegan stuffed peppers are very easy and straight forward to make, but a few tips will help you to master this recipe.
Cook the stuffing before stuffing!
To ensure proper baking, you have to cook the ingredients before stuffing your bell peppers. Cook the rice in advance, as well as the plant-based ground or lentils. Then, combine everything into a large deep skillet (sauces and spices) and cook together until warm and combined.
How to stuff the bell peppers
My recommendation for stuffing bell peppers is to remove the top and inner core, and stuff them to fill. Some people cut them lengthwise, but I prefer to fill them like a pumpkin!
It’s helpful to pick a baking dish that tightly holds your bell peppers to secure them. You want them to be snug. I used a 9 x 13-inch baking dish for 6 bell peppers.
Traditionally, stuffed bell peppers are topped with cheese. For this recipe I’ve used my homemade vegan mozzarella recipe, but you can also use a store bought version.
Or, feel free to omit the cheesy topping entirely. This recipe is still delicious without.
Other recipes you might like:
If you’re digging this recipe, you might also like these:
So there we have it! A very simple and delicious wholesome recipe for vegan stuffed peppers. It’s warm and comforting, flavourful and satiating. I truly think you’re going to love it! And, if you do make this recipe please let me know in the comments below what you think! I love hearing from you. And of course, tag me on Instagram with the hashtag #twospoons. Nothing makes me happier than to see your recreations.
Vegan Stuffed Peppers
- 6 bell peppers
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 yellow onion finely chopped
- 1 tomato chopped
- Pinch sea salt plus more for sprinkling
- Pinch pepper plus more for sprinkling
- 12 oz Vegan ground beef , such as Beyond Beef, Yves or Lightlife Plant-based Ground (or 1.5 cups green/brown lentils)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup Homemade Vegan Mozzarella , or store-bought
- Fresh basil chopped, to sprinkle
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C. Cut the tops off the bell peppers and scoop out the core and inner seeds. Nuzzle the bell peppers into a rectangular baking dish (9 x 13-inch).
- In a saucepan combine the coconut oil, garlic, onion, tomato, a generous pinch of sea salt and pepper. Cook until softened and the onion turns translucent, about 10 minutes. Add the vegan ground beef (or lentils) and Italian seasoning and cook until browned. Pour in the rice and the tomato sauce. Stir to combine.
- Stuff the bell peppers with filling and top each with mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with more sea salt and pepper. Cover the baking dish with foil (or reusable cover) and cook for 40 minutes, or until the peppers are tender. Remove foil and cook for another 10 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly. Sprinkle with fresh basil and serve.
GLUTEN-FREE – SOY-FREE – SUGAR-FREE