Take a look and this deliciously bright and colourful vegan ceviche! It’s made with hearts of palm, avocado, citrus fruits, red onion, and cilantro. Mr. Two Spoons and I devoured the whole bowl, and I’ll certainly be making it again this weekend.
In addition, as the warm weather approaches, it’s a bright and tangy dish that you can serve as an appetizer, snack or side-salad.
Overall this recipe is light, refreshing, citrusy and so easy to make. I love to dip tortilla chips into it for a delicious crunch! So, let me tell you exactly how to can make this easy vegan ceviche.
This vegan ceviche makes for a great summer appetizer, side-salad or snack! Think outdoor barbecues or family hang-outs.
The recipe is:
- bright and refreshing
- easy to make
- light and healthy
- great for entertaining
The hearts of palm and citrus fruits add a lovely texture to this seafood-free ceviche, so that you get a similar sensation to the traditional, yet it’s completely vegan. I also love the addition of avocado for a little creaminess to the recipe. It’s a wonderful compliment to the citrusy flavours.
What does Hearts of Palm taste like?
Hearts of palm is a delicious, crunchy vegetable harvested from the centre of cabbage palm tree. If you haven’t tried them before, the taste and texture is a bit like white asparagus. The flavour is really delicate, creamy and slightly nutty.
Not only is the flavour great for this recipe, but the look resembles calamari, making it a welcomed addition to this dish. I love to use hearts of palm not only in this dish but other salad recipes too. Toss some in just as you would any other vegetable.
You can find hearts of palm at most grocery stories in the canned vegetables section (with the peas, corn etc.). They’re already cooked when canned, so you can simply drain, rinse and slice. Check out this article from The Spruce Eats for more about hearts of palm.
How to make Vegan Ceviche
Making this vegan ceviche couldn’t be simpler! Add all the fresh ingredients into a mixing bowl, drizzle with lime juice and olive, toss and serve. As you can see, it’s such an easy recipe, which is why I have given it my newbie cook stamp of approval.
The hardest part of the recipe is the chopping and slicing. So turn on your favourite tunes and chop chop away! I actually find it pretty therapeutic; I’m not going to lie.
Other recipes you might like:
If you’re digging this recipe, you might also like these vegan snacks and apps:
- Cauliflower Buffalo Wings
- Ranch Dip
- Queso Recipe
- Spinach and Artichoke Dip
- Baked Sweet Potato Wedges
And there we have it – a simple recipe for vegan ceviche that is refreshing, citrusy, and so easy to make! Enjoy it for entertaining, a delicious summer snack, appetizer or side salad. It’s a great way to enjoy ceviche seafood-free.
I hope you enjoy this recipe to the fullest! And, if you do make this recipe please let me know in the comments below what you think! I truly love hearing from you, and I’m always here to answer any questions you might have. And of course, tag me on Instagram with your pictures using the hashtag #twospoons. Nothing makes me happier than to see your recreations.
- 1 navel orange
- 1 grapefruit
- 2 avocados cubed
- 1 can hearts of palm (14 oz/400 g), chopped
- 1/3 cup red onion finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper finely chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro leaves tightly packed, finely chopped
- 1 lime juiced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- tortilla chips for serving
- Prepare the citrus: Using a sharp knife, carefully slice off the top and bottom of the orange. Slice the skin away from the flesh by cutting down and around the fruits, discard the peel. Cut between the membranes to segment the orange into slices (trying your best to remove the skin). Then slice the pieces in half and transfer to a medium mixing bowl.
- Add the cubed avocado, hearts of palm, red onion, jalapeno pepper, cilantro leaves and cilantro. Drizzle with lime juice and olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt. Gently stir to combine. Serve with tortilla chips.
VEGAN – GLUTEN-FREE – GRAIN-FREE – SUGAR-FREE – SOY-FREE – NUT-FREE – RAW