Hi Friends! You are going to love this crispy smashed potatoes recipe that I’ve got for you today. They are oven-roasted, rustic, and crispy on the outside with a soft interior. All-in-all, it’s so comforting and wholesome.
Certainly, it’s a recipe to please all eaters, vegan or not. I like to serve with my homemade and chimichurri sauce, drizzled on top for a restuarant-worthy dish. It’s so bright and refreshing. Enjoy this insanely addictive recipe as a side dish or appetizer. It’s delicious served alongside salads to add some heartiness to the meal.
So, let me tell you how to make these crispy smashed potatoes. So that you can enjoy them pronto!
Crispy Smashed Potatoes Recipe
These crispy smashed potatoes are:
- vegan and gluten-free
- oven roasted
- crispy crunchy exterior
- soft and pillowy interior
- salty and buttery (using olive oil)
- insanely addictive
- easy to make
- requires just 4 ingredients!
- pleases a crowd (vegan or not)
Are you drooling yet?
I made these on the weekend for my husband and he went absolutely berserk over them. Not to mention, it was hard for me to plate and serve them, because I kept popping them in my mouth before serving!! I won’t judge if you do the same!
I can promise you that you are going to absolutely LOVE these comforting crispy smashed potatoes.
How to Make Smashed Potatoes
It’s so easy to make this smashed potatoes recipe. In fact, the smashed potatoes requires just 4-ingredients.
We will begin by boiling the baby potatoes (colour of choice) in a pot of salted water until fork tender, 20 minutes.
Some recipes will tell you to use baby potatoes of similar size, but I like size variation because it means that some potatoes will be ultra crispy, while others a little more fluffy. (You get the best of both!) I also love using multicoloured potatoes because they’re visually pretty to look at.
When the potatoes are cooked, drain and pat dry. Then transfer to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and smash each with a fork.
Note: The more you smash to flatten the potatoes, the crispier they will be. If you want them really crispy than give them a good smash. If you want a more fluffy interior, then only smash to slightly flatten them.
thin = crispier
thick = fluffier
Drizzle the smashed potatoes with olive oil and sprinkle generously with sea salt. Bake at 400F/200C for 40 to 45 minutes. Or until the potatoes are crispy and golden browned. (No need to flip!)
That’s it folks! Certainly this recipe couldn’t be easier, which is why I have given it my newbie cook stamp of approval. If you’re new to cooking, you will love just how easy this recipe is to make.
Serve with homemade chimichurri sauce
I love to serve this recipe with my homemade chimichurri sauce. It’s so herby, bright and refreshing. Truly, it’s the perfect compliment to this recipe and I highly encourage you to give it a try.
Of course, these smashed potatoes are delicious on their own, but adding the chimichurri to drizzle elevates the recipe to a restaurant-worthy dish.
Other recipes you might like:
If you’re digging this recipe, you might also like these:
- Baked Sweet Potato Wedges
- Vegan Cauliflower Buffalo Wings
- Black Bean Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Vegan Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
So there we have it! A deliciously easy, 4-ingredient recipe for ultra crispy smashed potatoes that are oven-roasted, crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. Serve with my chimichurri sauce to take it to the next level.
If you do make this recipe please let me know in the comments below what you think! I truly love hearing from you, and I’m always here to answer any questions you might have. And of course, tag me on Instagram with your pictures using the hashtag #twospoons. Nothing makes me happier than to see your recreations.
Crispy Smashed Potatoes
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1.5 lb baby potatoes (colour of choice)
- 2 tbsp olive oil , more if desired
- pinch coarse sea salt , for sprinkling
- 1 batch chimichurri sauce (optional for drizzling - highly recommend!)
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Bring a large pot of water with the salt to a boil and add the baby potatoes. Boil until the potatoes are cooked through, 20 mins. Drain and transfer to the baking sheet.
- Smash each potato with a fork (thinner = crispier, fatter = fluffier) and drizzle with 2 to 3 tbsp of olive oil. Sprinkle generously with coarse sea salt. Bake for 40 to 45 mins, or until the potatoes are crispy and golden brown.
- Transfer smashed potatoes to a serving plate and drizzle with chimichurri, if using. Or serve with dipping sauce of choice.
VEGAN – GLUTEN-FREE – DAIRY-FREE – SOY-FREE – NUT-FREE – SUGAR-FREE
Pin it on Pinterest!
Save this recipe for later! Pin it on Pinterest.