Hi friends! Today I’m sharing this delicious recipe for Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup! I don’t know about you, but it’s been absolutely freezing here in Toronto, and so my diet is consisting solely of hot soup and tea to heat my bones. Brrrrrr.
Honestly, when it comes to soup, I don’t think there is a single soup style that I don’t love – be it pureed, chunky or creamy. I just love soup!!
However, this vegan mushroom soup is hands down one of my favourite soup recipes I’ve ever made! (And Mr. Two Spoons agrees!). It’s so creamy, velvety and luxurious, with lots of mushroom chunks! Plus, it’s a vegan, 1-pot recipe, that’s so easy to make. All-in-all, it’s a comforting soup recipe that I know you’re going to love.
So, let me tell you exactly how to make this soup so that you can enjoy it pronto!
Vegan Mushroom Soup Recipe
As a kid, I absolutely LOVED Campbells mushroom soup! Anyone else? I used to come home for lunch on school days, and my mum would always warm up a bowl of canned mushroom soup. It was heaven!
However, my one complaint was that there was never enough mushrooms. So, my mum used to ladle out all the mushroom chunks from the soup into my bowl. (I realize now just how much she loved me, as she sat down to her bowl of cream-of-no-mushroom soup, while mine was full of them!)
So, in making my own mushroom soup recipe, it was imperative to load it with mushroom chunks!
This Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup is:
- Creamy and comforting
- Full of chunky mushrooms
- Velvety and luxurious
- Earthy and warming
- 1-pot recipe
- Easy to make
- Vegan (of course)
- 1 million x better than canned soup!
The recipe is inspired by Cafe Delights Cream of Mushroom Soup. What a gorgeous soup they’ve shared with the world! My version is modified to be vegan and healthier, yet still so gourmet. Just wait till you try it.
How to make Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
It’s so easy to make this cream of mushroom soup! In fact, you’ll be surprised by just how gourmet this recipe is with such little effort.
It begins by sautéing the onion and garlic in olive oil. Then we add the mushrooms and soften for a few minutes.
Next we add the flour and 1/2 cup of broth and bring to a simmer. (The flour helps to thicken the soup). Toss in the thyme and bay leaf and pour in the remaining broth. Simmer the soup for 10 minutes, or until the mushrooms are perfectly soft and cooked through.
Finally, we will add the homemade cashew cream and mix everything to combine. Scoop out the thyme and the bay leaf and you’re done!
I told you it’s one hell of an easy recipe to make! I like to serve mine with some toasted sourdough slathered with vegan butter. It’s such a cozy combo.
Other recipes you might like:
If you’re digging this recipe you might also like these soups:
- Curried Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup
- Vegan Pumpkin Soup
- Cheesy Vegan Leek and Potato Soup
- Coconut Cream of Cauliflower Soup
So there we have it! A very simple and gorgeous recipe for Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup that is so luxurious, creamy and full of chunky mushrooms! If you’re a mushroom soup lover – I know you’re going to love this soup!
And, if you do make this recipe please let me know in the comments below what you think! I truly love hearing from you, and I’m always here to answer any questions you might have. And of course, tag me on Instagram with your pictures using the hashtag #twospoons. Nothing makes me happier than to see your recreations.
Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 sweet onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 1/2 lb cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 6 sprigs thyme tied with twine
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp miso white or red
- In a small bowl and the cashews and pour in boiling water to soak. Set aside.
- In a large pot, add the olive oil, onion and garlic and bring to medium-high heat. Cook, stirring often until the onions have softened, about 7 minutes).
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 5 to 7 minutes, then sprinkle in the flour and mix together. Cook for 2 minutes, then pour in 1/2 cup of the vegetable broth and bring to a low simmer. Toss in the thyme, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Simmer the soup for 5 minutes, then pour in the remaining broth. Cover and let the soup simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the cashew cream: strain the cashews and add to a high speed blender with the miso and 3/4 cup of fresh water. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Turn the heat to low and pour the cashew cream into the soup. Stir everything to combine. Scoop out the thyme and bay leaf and serve.
VEGAN – 1 POT – SUGAR-FREE