This vegan coffee cake recipe is a must-try! It’s sweet, moist, and cinnamony with a gorgeous strusel topping. Pretty much, it’s everything you’re looking for in a delicious coffee cake.
This is the ultimate cake to serve for brunch or afternoon tea with, well – a cup of coffee! Mr. Two Spoons absolutely LOVED this cake; eating three slices in one day! Needless to say, it didn’t last very long in our home.
Best of all, it’s an easy cake to make. I’ve kept the ingredients simple and classic, to bring you a traditional recipe that rivals Starbucks coffee cake. I can promise you it’s as delicious as you remember it from your childhood.
So, let me tell you exactly how to make this gorgeous vegan coffee cake.
Vegan Coffee Cake Recipe
I said it once, but I’lll say it again! This recipe is:
- Made with a gorgeous crumbly topping
- So easy to make!
And did you know that coffee cake actually doesn’t have any coffee in it at all!? The idea is to serve it alongside a cup of coffee, but there isn’t a drop inside! Since it’s caffeine free, it also makes my recipe kid-friendly. And it makes WAY more sense why this was Mr. Two Spoons favourite childhood cake.
I find coffee cake to be so sweet and inviting. And totally rivals the Starbucks version. Bake up a batch of this vegan recipe to enjoy through the week instead. Your wallet will thank you I’m sure.
Oh that’s right. This recipe will also keep for one week! Stash in the fridge and grab yourself a slice whenever you fancy.
The recipes makes up a big batch, so you can also freeze portions of it to save for later. Let thaw to room temp before eating.
So, with all this talk about simple and classic ingredients; you might be wondering what makes up this coffee cake? I’ve listed the ingredients for the batter and topping. As you’ll see, it’s pretty straight forward – all made vegan of course with simple substitutes on the classics.
- vegan butter, soft
- organic cane sugar
- all-purpose flour
- coconut yogurt
- apple cider vinegar
- baking powder
- baking soda
- fine sea salt
- pure vanilla extract
- all-purpose flour
- dark brown sugar
- vegan butter
- fine sea salt
How to make Vegan Coffee Cake
Making vegan coffee cake couldn’t be simpler! We’ll start by making the streusel topping followed by the batter. The trick to getting the classic layered affect is to pour half the batter into your baking dish (13 x 9-inch), followed by a thin layer of the streusel topping. Then top with the remaining batter and finish with the remaining streusel topping.
One thing to note is that I tried making this recipe in a smaller rectangle dish and the centre pieces didn’t cook. It’s important to use a big rectangle cake pan (13 x 9-inches) for a perfect bake. My favourite cake pan is by Cuisinart. (affiliated link – I only recommend products I use and love).
Taste of Home also has some useful tips for making coffee cake, which are helpful to consider whenever you’re baking cake. Such as, avoiding under-mixing and over-baking.
Other recipes you might like:
If you’re digging this recipe, you might also like:
- Pumpkin Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Vegan Blueberry Scones
- Blueberry Banana Baked Oatmeal
- Vegan Gluten-free Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Vegan Lemon Almond Cake
So there we have it! A gorgeously sweet, moist, fluffy and coffee cake that you can share with your loved ones, be it for breakfast or afternoon tea. Served of course with a cup of coffee. It’s a classic and simple recipe that rivals the Starbucks coffee cake, and it’s vegan of course! I know you’re going to love this recipe as much as we do!
And, if you do make this recipe please let me know in the comments below what you think! I love hearing from you. And of course, tag me on Instagram with the hashtag #twospoons. Nothing makes me happier than to see your recreations. Enjoy!
Vegan Coffee Cake
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour + 2 tablespoons
- 1 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup vegan butter , melted + 1 tablespoon
- 1 1/2 cups coconut yogurt
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup vegan butter soft
- 1 1/2 cups cane sugar
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C. Make the streusel topping by mixing together the flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and sea salt in a small mixing bowl. Pour in the vegan butter and mix everything to combine. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the coconut yogurt and apple cider vinegar to make a "sour cream." Whisk to combine and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the vegan butter and cane sugar using a hand mixer until fluffy. Add the sour cream and vanilla extract and mix to combine. Sift the all-purpose flour into the mixture, bit-by-bit, while mixing on low-speed. Then add the baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix to combine, being sure not to over mix the batter.
- Lightly grease a 13 x 9-inch baking dish and pour in half of the batter. Sprinkle lightly with a layer of streusel topping. Then pour in the remaining half of the batter to top and smoothen it as best you can to make an even layer, (it's okay if it's a bit rustic). Finish by sprinkling the top with the remaining streusel to cover. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool and cut into squares.
VEGAN – NUT-FREE
Pin it on Pinterest:
Save this recipe for later. Pin it on Pinterest!