Introducing The BEST Vegan and Gluten-free Chocolate Chip Banana Bread you’ve ever tasted! And best of all, it’s so easy to make. Truly, this banana bread is everything you want in a homemade baked good. It’s moist, pillowy, and perfectly sweet with delicious chocolate chunks.
If you thought it weren’t possible to make a banana bread that’s vegan, gluten-free AND easy than think again. Because this recipe my friends, is one for the cookbooks.
I think you’re going to love it as much as we do.
The BEST Vegan and Gluten-free Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
This banana bread is a simple bake. No special ingredients or equipment is needed to make this certified delicious bread. Simply a couple mixing bowls, a rectangular baking pan, and an oven. I think we all have those? And it’s also likely that you already have the ingredients for this recipe handy in your pantry.
Better yet – this recipe is a great way to use up any spotty bananas lying around. If they are past their prime then they are perfect for this recipe!
To make this banana bread we will begin by combining the dry ingredients and wet ingredients in separate bowls. Then mixing together to make the batter, and finishing by adding mashed banana and chocolate chips. I told you, it’s THAT easy.
Watch my latest video:
The Ingredients for my Vegan and Gluten-free Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
The ingredients in this recipe are super straight forward, and it’s likely you even have them in your pantry. Which is why I am stamping this recipe as newbie cook approved. I promise it’s a simple and straight forward recipe that anyone can make!
For the dry ingredients:
The dry ingredients in this banana bread are:
- large flake oats
- all purpose gluten-free flour
- baking soda
- sea salt
- ground cinnamon
Simply toss the ingredients into a large mixing bowl and combine. A tip I like to give is to sift the gluten-free flour into your mixing bowl to ensure there are no clumps. This will help for a lighter and fluffier banana bread.
For the wet ingredients
The wet ingredients in this banana bread recipe are:
- coconut oil
- coconut sugar (okay this is dry, but I add it to my wet ingredients)
- yogurt (I used coconut yogurt, but you could also use soy)
- vanilla extract
- chia egg
In a separate bowl you’ll combine the wet ingredients, and then pour it into the dry. Mix gently until just combined. Then we will add the mashed banana and chocolate chips.
As you can see, it’s a straight forward recipe, that’s fuss-free with no fancy equipment.
Other recipes you might like:
If you like this recipe for my Vegan and Gluten-free Chocolate Chip Banana Bread, you might also like:
- flourless chocolate chip cookies (1-bowl + vegan + gf)
- best vegan and gluten-free carrot cake
- vegan lemon almond cake
- holiday spice cake
Shop my kitchen:
I’m always asked what items I like to use in the kitchen. So, I’ve included my favourites for making this Vegan and Gluten-free Banana Bread below. You can also find more of my favourite kitchen essentials and products on my Shop page.
My baking pans. Used in this recipe to bake the banana bread.
My spatula, used to mix and transfer batter into baking dish
These are the mixing bowls I use to mix the batter.
A few tips for this Vegan and Gluten-free Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
There isn’t much to say for nailing this easy chocolate chip banana bread. It’s an easy straight forward recipe that my newbie cooks can perfect. It is important, however, not to forgot to prepare the wet and dry ingredients in two separate bowls. As it will ensure the ingredients are well combined before mixing together.
I also like to pulse my oats in my blender or food processor to make flour form. Although not necessary it will yield a lighter banana bread.
You’ll want to bake this banana bread for 45-60 minutes in the oven at 350F/175C, until you’re able to insert a toothpick into the centre and it comes out clean. Timing will vary depending on your oven. So the rule of thumb is to bake for 45 minutes, then check by inserting a toothpick into the centre, and if it doesn’t come out clean, put back in the oven for 10 more minutes. Then check again.
As you see it’s a simple recipe, but the hardest part is waiting for your banana bread to cool so you can start eating!
And that’s all there is to baking this flawless vegan and gluten-free chocolate chip banana bread. Get ready for the BEST banana bread you’ve ever tried, and enjoy every heavenly bite.
And, if you do make this recipe please let me know in the comments below what you think! I love hearing from you. And of course, tag me on Instagram with the hashtag #twospoons. Nothing makes me happier than to see your recreations.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread (Gluten-free)
- 2 tbsp ground chia (or ground flax)
- 6 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup large flake oats
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp sea salt , finely ground
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup all purpose gluten-free flour
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut yogurt (or unsweetened soy yogurt)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed banana (I used 3 bananas)
- 3/4 cups semi-sweet dark chocolate chips
- Make chia egg by combining ground chia and water in a bowl. Whisk with a fork and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Sift gluten-free flour into large mixing bowl with baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. In a blender or food processor pulse oats until powder form and add to bowl. Mix dry ingredients to combine.
- In a saucepan melt coconut oil on medium high heat. Remove and pour into large mixing bowl with coconut sugar, coconut yogurt, vanilla and chia egg. Whisk together to combine. Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until just combined. Then add mashed banana and mix again. Pour in chocolate chips and gently fold into batter.
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Rub a rectangular baking pan (I used a 9x5 inch pan) with coconut oil along the base and up the sides, (this will allow for easier removal after cooking). Pour batter into pan and bake in oven for 45-55 minutes, or until golden and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. (If the top of the banana bread is getting too brown you can cover it with tinfoil. But I didn't need to do this.). Let cool for 15-20 minutes before removing from pan.
VEGAN – VEGETARIAN – WHEAT-FREE – GLUTEN-FREE – DAIRY-FREE – REFINED SUGAR-FREE