Peach and Raspberry Galette anyone? Do I really need to ask? I mean who would say no to caramelized stone fruit beautifully wrapped in a flaky sweet crust? Nobody I wanna be friends with.
This Raspberry Peach Galette is the epitome of epic summer desserts. Using the best of our summer fruits with soft and supple peaches, and lush raspberries. Topped with coconut ice cream and it is euphoric. Let’s just hold the dinner and go straight to dessert why don’t we?
What I love about this galette is how ooey-goey and caramelized the peaches become as they cook. The peaches are prepped by combining the fruit with coconut sugar, ginger, and lemon juice to help bring out those natural juices and allow the flavours to blend. When cooked the outcome is a sweet, soft and jammy blend.
What’s also game-changing is the homemade flaky crust. This was actually my first time making a homemade galette crust. Usually, I just buy a flaky pastry from the grocers and call it a day. But actually, making your own is really quiet simple and offers a richer, heartier and more flavourful crust. I’m a convert. I’ll take this moment to call out the elephant in the room – that vegan baking, and the sound of making your own galette crust, can be a little intimidating…but I promise this galette is not. I’ve told you many-a-time that I’m not a master baker, and that’s exactly why I love galettes. We don’t have to worry about rising flours or flat flambés. That is not the goal of a galette. The goal is to roll out the dough until flat as a pancake, throw the ingredients overtop and bake. The outcome is a flawless flaky golden crust with jammy interior every time. A homemade baked goodie that’s completely fuss free.
I will give you a little trick to vegan baking that I’ve learned along the way – which is to use a vegan butter or margarine as the butter substitute, not oil. Although I much prefer to cook/bake with natural oils, like coconut or olive, it’s the firmness of these vegan butters that are ideal for baking. For this galette, I used the vegan butter brand Vita’Coco. It’s a coconut based butter by Vitaquell from France. I always get positive results in my baking when using this butter and I love how their ingredient list is minimal. If you don’t have this brand near you I suggest opting in for an organic vegan butter as opposed to margarine, and to check the ingredient to make sure they are minimal and clearly understood.
Overall, this peach galette is one to please the masses, which is why I’ve awarded it Skeptic Approved. I swear, you could feed this to a baby and their first words would be “get in ma belly!” I mean you really can’t go wrong with roasted peaches cuddled in a beautiful homemade pie crust. Amirite? It’s the simple things in life.
Hope you adore this fuss-free dessert as much as I do.
Vegan Peach and Raspberry Galette
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt finely ground
- 1/2 cup vegan butter cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3-6 tbsp filtered water
- 3 1/2 cups peaches about 6 peaches
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 inch fresh ginger peeled and grated
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/2 lemon juiced
- 1 cup raspberries fresh or frozen
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- coarse sugar to sprinkle optional
- In a large mixing bowl add all-purpose flour and salt. Add cubes of vegan butter and massage the dough with your fingers, breaking up the butter until it's about pea sized. Add 3 tbsp water and mix with a wooden spoon until dough forms together, optional to add more water if needed (1 tbsp at a time). Transfer dough to a clean, lightly floured, surface and and knead dough until combined and no longer dry. Wrap to cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Cut peaches into wedges. Add peach wedges, coconut sugar, ginger, cornstarch, and lemon juice. Mix to combine, and let sit at least 10 minutes for flavours to combine.
- Remove dough from fridge, flour work surface and roll dough into a rough circle approx. 1/8th inch thick. Transfer to a non-stick baking tray. Arrange fruit overtop of dough making an even layer, leaving roughly 1.5-inch boarder. Wedge raspberries into any cracks and spaces. Fold in the edges of the dough overtop of the fruit. Then, paint the exposed top crust with olive oil. Optional to sprinkle crust with coarse sugar.
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C. Transfer galette to oven and bake for 45 minutes, or until crust is golden and fruit is caramelized. Let cool slightly. Serve warm or cold with scoop vegan ice cream.
VEGAN – VEGETARIAN – DAIRY-FREE – SOY-FREE – NUT-FREE