This vegan feta cheese tastes just like the real thing! It’s rich, creamy, tangy and salty in flavour. It can be served in cubed formed, or crumbled depending on your preference. This recipe is nut-free, gluten-free, and SO easy to make, requiring simple and wholesome ingredients.
You won’t believe just how easy and delicious this vegan feta cheese recipe is. If you missed eating feta cheese then look no further than this vegan version.
Vegan Feta Cheese
This vegan feta cheese recipe is:
- rich and creamy
- can be served cubed or crumbled
- nut-free and gluten-free
- made with simple, wholesome ingredients
This recipe proves that making vegan feta cheese at home both is easy and satisfying. There is no need to spend an arm and a leg buying store-bought versions with an exhaustive list of unrecognizable ingredients.
Certainly, this wholesome homemade version is the best I’ve tried! We absolutely LOVE it and I know you’re going to love it too. (If you are interested in buying a store bought version, Women’s Health recommends Violife. In my opinion, however, this homemade version is premium in taste, and ir’a so easy to make.
In fact, making this recipe has become a weekly ritual and we always have a stash in the fridge. We like to toss this cheese on everything from greek salads to pizza, or enjoy it crumbled onto wraps and veggie sandwiches.
Vegan Feta Cheese: Tips & Notes
It is so easy to make vegan feta cheese! The recipe uses extra firm tofu (which we will press for 10 minutes to remove any excess water). Then, cut into small 1-inch cubes.
So, how do we get the cheesy feta flavour?
The tofu is marinated in an oil-based brine with ingredients like nutritional yeast and miso, which gives it the deliciously cheesy and salty taste. Mix together the brine and add the cubes. Then, gently stir to combine.
The longer you allow the feta to marinade, the more flavourful it will be!
For best taste, let the cubes marinade for at least 2 hours. Stir occasionally to make sure everything is well coated. Or better yet, I like to make this recipe the day before I intend to eat it, so that the flavours have lots of time to meld together. (Let it marinade in the bowl, covered, stored in the fridge).
I also recommend to remove this feta from the fridge 10 to 20 minutes before you’d like to eat it. Since this recipe uses olive oil (which solidifies in the fridge) it benefits from a few minutes at room temperature to restore its liquid texture.
Alternatively, you can use a neutral vegetable-based oil, which keeps its liquid form when chilled. Examples would be grape-seed oil or canola oil. However, I prefer the olive oil for a more wholesome ingredient and rich taste.
How long does vegan feta cheese last?
This feta cheese will keep for one week in the fridge. Stash in an air tight container and bring to room temperate 10 to 20 minutes before serving. (See note above on use of olive oil).
Other recipes you might like:
If you’re digging this recipe you might also like these cheesy recipes:
- Melty, Stretchy, Vegan Mozzarella Cheese
- Vegan Queso Recipe
- Vegan Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Vegan Cashew Cheese
And there we have it! A delicious vegan feta cheese recipe that’s as creamy, cheesy, tangy and salty as the real thing! Serve this feta on top of your favourite salads, crumble it on to pizza and serve in veggie sandwiches and wraps! I really think you’re going to love this recipe as much as we do.
If you do make this recipe please let me know in the comments below what you think! I truly love hearing from you, and I’m always here to answer any questions you might have. And of course, tag me on Instagram with your pictures using the hashtag #twospoons. Nothing makes me happier than to see your recreations.
Vegan Feta Cheese
- Press tofu: Wrap the tofu block in a clean kitchen towel and place a few heavy books on top. To stop the books from sliding, you can line the tofu up against the backsplash of your countertop. Press the tofu for at least 15 minutes. Slice the tofu into 1-inch cubes and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add the olive oil, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, miso, sea salt, onion powder, garlic and water. Whisk to combine.
- Gently toss in the tofu and stir gently with a spatula to coat. Cover with a tea towel and stir occasionally, marinating the tofu for at least 2 hours. Toss with dried oregano and dill. Serve the feta, or pop it in the fridge for a longer marinade (the longer you marinade the more flavourful it becomes. See notes for my recommendation).
- Before serving, remove the feta from the fridge and let sit at room temperature for 10 to 20 minutes. (The olive oil marinade can solidify in the fridge and this will bring the brine back to liquid texture). Stir again and serve.
VEGAN – NUT-FREE – GLUTEN-FREE – GRAIN-FREE – RAW
Pin it on Pinterest!
Save this recipe for later! Pin it on Pinterest!