Hi guys! Here’s a quick recipe for how to make homemade enchilada sauce! This enchilada sauce is featured in my Sweet Potato and Black Bean Enchiladas. The sauce is fiery and flavourful. Made by blending spices like chili powder, cumin and cinnamon for a mouth-watering, luscious and zesty sauce.
Better yet, it takes under 10-minutes to make. So say goodbye to store-bought enchilada sauce – that’s packed with sugar, preservatives and GMO’s and opt-in for this savoury red enchilada sauce instead.
How to make Homemade Enchilada Sauce
For this recipe you will need:
- neutral oil
- all-purpose flour (or gluten-free flour blend)
- chili powder
- garlic powder
- tomato paste
- vegetable broth
- sea salt
- apple cider vinegar
- black pepper
Certainly, you can buy enchilada sauce from the grocery to save time. But I urge you to make it yourself – it’s so much more delicious, and actually quick and easy to do! It just requires a stocked pantry.
The benefits of making your own homemade enchilada sauce is that will know exactly what’s gone into making it. No preservatives or GMOs or sugar.
In addition, you have full control over the flavour and texture when it’s homemade. Sometimes store bought versions can be too tomato-y or too spicy, or the consistency might be too runny.
But, when you make the sauce yourself you can adjust the flavours to taste, and be sure you’re getting a thick sauce for spreading.
I must thank Cookie and Kate for inspiring me to make my own, and experimenting with flavours to create this recipe. I hope you enjoy it too, and feel free to play around with the seasoning! Add more chili powder for heat/flavour, or apple cider vinegar for brightness.
Notes & Tips for Homemade Enchilada Sauce
Pre-measure your ingredients
Now, this recipe comes together quickly. So I encourage you to measure out the ingredients in advanced so you can add as you whisk. All-in-all it takes about 5 minutes of cooking in a saucepan. So yeah, it’s fast!
Prep in advance
To save time for making enchiladas, you can prepare this enchilada sauce in advance and keep chilled in the fridge. It will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days. Simply reheat before using, whisking well. And add splashes of more broth if needed to thin it out.
Other recipes you might like:
If you’re digging this how-to recipe you might also like these:
- Melty and Stretchy Vegan Mozzarella Cheese
- Green Goddess Dressing
- Crispy Baked Tofu
- Easy Classic Hummus
- Homemade Apple Butter
So there we have it. A very quick 5-minute recipe for homemade enchilada sauce that will take your enchiladas to the next level. It’s a fiery, flavourful, zesty sauce. And since it’s homemade, you know exactly what’s gone into making it – no sugars or preservative. I think you’re going to love using this to make your favourite enchilada dishes.
And, if you do make this recipe please let me know in the comments below what you think! I love hearing from you. And of course, tag me on Instagram with the hashtag #twospoons. Nothing makes me happier than to see your recreations.
Homemade Enchilada Sauce
- 3 tbsp neutral oil (avocado oil or coconut oil)
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour , or gluten-free flour
- 1.5 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper flakes
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1.5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Measure out all your dry ingredients, as well as tomato paste and veg broth. The recipe comes together quickly, so have them close by.
- Heat oil in a medium-sized saucepan on high. Once hot (i.e. the surface is shimmering) whisk in all-purpose flour and spice mixture. Continue whisking to combine, until thick and fragrant. Then add tomato paste.
- Slowly splash in vegetable broth. Continue whisking to form a smooth liquid. Bring sauce to a low simmer and cook for 5 to 10 mins, or until thick and saucy. (Consistency should be thick like ketchup). Splash in apple cider vinegar and stir to combine. Remove from heat and use to make your favourite enchilada dishes.
VEGAN – SOY-FREE – NUT-FREE