Ho-ho-holy crepes! If these don’t put you in the Christmas spirit I don’t know what will. A delicious stack of crepes, folded on top of each other with layers of shaved apple, red grapes, pomegranate and powdered sugar. Someone sing the hallelujah chorus. This is al I want for Christmas.
I made these Christmas crepes using the crepe recipe from my Pink Raspberry and Coconut Cream Crepe Cake. I had my foodie friend @odilejp visiting and in full disclosure the plan was to make a big mountain of chocolate crepes. We had planned to submit it into a #ChocolateParty that @fitnessbianca and @Elavegan were having on Instagram. Unfortunately it turned out a complete disaster. The batter did not want to take part in our party, and every time we poured it into into the pan it glued to the surface so much that you couldn’t get it off with a sledge hammer. We tried adjusting the batter recipe several times, adding more mylk, then oil, then flour, and then more oil… but nothing seemed to work. We still aren’t sure what the problem was – whether it was the chocolate that was causing it to stick, or the fact there was no oil in the recipe to begin with. Or maybe my ceramic pan found the batter so intoxicatingly tasty it didn’t want to let go. But suffice to say, it was at least an hour’s worth of struggle before we threw in the (tea) towel and opted for a new recipe. Moral of the story is that even us food bloggers have #foodfails.
But sometimes the best miracles can come from a disaster, and these Christmas Crepes prove just that! I mean look at how festive and inviting they are! I love the colours and the flavours in this magical mix. The crunchy fruit combo of apple, pomegranate and grapes paired with soft and pillowy crepes is premium. Of course you can dress the crepes with whatever fruit you love. But I personally find this a winning combo. And sprinkled with a little icing sugar makes these crepes look like a winter wonderland! Drizzle with a little maple syrup and it will certainly put the jingle in your bells!
So, this Christmas I give you my crepes! A sweet indulgent recipe that will make your Xmas 2017 un-freakin-fogettable. Tis the season to indulge! We’ll all worry about getting back on the health kick in 2018. Amirite?
Vegan Christmas Crepes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp sea salt finely ground
- 1 1/2 cup almond milk
- 3 tbsp neutral oil (avocado or melted coconut)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp water approximately
- 1 apple (I like gala or honey crisp)
- 1 cup red grapes sliced
- 1/2 pomegranate for topping
- icing sugar to sprinkle
- maple syrup to serve
- In a mixing bowl add flour and salt. Whisk to combine. Then add milk, oil, maple syrup and vanilla extract. Whisk again until well combined and place in the fridge to chill for at least one hour.
- Lightly oil a non-stick pan and bring to medium heat. Pour 1/4 cup of crepe batter onto the pan and swirl it around until the entire surface is coated (as best you can) and batter takes on a generally circular shape. Cook until edges start to pull away from the pan (1-2 minutes). Then, gently flip the crepe and cook the other side for 15-20 seconds. Slide crepe onto a plate. Adjust batter if needed (if you noticed it was too thick add a splash more water. I used 2 tbsp water to thin).
- Repeat Step 2 until you've used all the batter.
- On a serving plate fold crepes into triangles and layer one on top of the other. Thinly slice your apple and layer the pieces in between the folds as desired. Top crepes with sliced grapes, pomegranate seeds and sprinkle with icing sugar for a winter wonderland effect. Serve with maple syrup, remaining sliced apple, more grapes and pomegranate seeds.
VEGAN – VEGETARIAN – DAIRY-FREE – SOY-FREE