Hi guys! Today I am sharing my ultimate vegan chocolate mousse recipe. It is a staple dessert recipe that we all need in our back pocket!
This vegan chocolate mousse was one of the first vegan dessert recipes I ever shared on the blog, and one that I create time and again when I need a good old fashioned chocolate recipe to get my cocoa fix. It is such a winning recipe that I haven’t modified it at all since first sharing it. Why reinvent the wheel? This vegan chocolate mousse is proof that we don’t need to compromise on classic dessert favs when living a plant-based diet. Dairy or no-dairy, you can have your mousse and eat it too.
I’d describe this chocolate mousse as the following: creamy, rich, light, smooth and decadent. A.k.a. everything one would hope for in a decadent chocolate dessert. So what’s the secret? I hope you’re sitting down, my friends, because this might shock you…
To make this creamy chocolate mousse I use silken tofu. Tofu!?! Yes, tofu. Okay, before you go back to Pinterest and type “vegan chocolate mousse + no tofu” just hear me out…. Silken tofu is the wonder ingredient to a thick, creamy and smooth chocolate mousse.
If you haven’t used silken tofu before you’re in for a wonderful surprise. Silken tofu is much different from the traditional kind. It’s very soft in texture, so much so that you can’t hold it in your hands without it falling apart. And, it has close to no flavour at all, meaning it can adopt the flavours of other ingredients very well. I like to buy mine from the organic store to ensure it’s a quality tofu with no GMOs. Prepare to be wowed by just how transformative it can be.
It’s the tofu in this mousse that allows it to be so creamy and smooth. Then, combined with melted dark chocolate, cocoa powder, maple syrup, vanilla and a splash of rum it transforms into a decadent chocolate dessert that will wow even the most vegan skeptic eater.
As for topping this mousse, I’ve added some homemade candied nuts. They are euphoric! I’ve made them by simmering coconut sugar with water in a saucepan, then adding walnuts and almonds to combine. The end result is sweet, golden and caramelized nuts. They add a perfect sweet crunch to the velvety chocolate mousse. I’ve also added a splash canned coconut milk to top for good measure. Gourmet or what!? Each bite is a total delight.
I promise you that this recipe will not disappoint, and will change how you think of tofu. In fact, it’s a dessert recipe I make time and again for my vegan-skeptic friends, and it’s always a hit. And, if you do make this recipe please let me know in the comments below what you think! I love hearing from you. And of course, tag me on Instagram with the hashtag #twospoons. Nothing makes me happier than to see your recreations.
Lots of love,
The ultimate vegan chocolate mousse
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- pinch salt
- 1 cup coarsely chopped nuts (I used walnuts and almonds)
- 1 bar dark chocolate 70% or higher
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 packet silken tofu (400g)
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp dark rum (optional)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
For the nuts
- In a saucepan bring coconut sugar, water and salt to a simmer. Stir until sugar is dissolved. Add chopped nuts and stir to combine. Simmer nuts stirring occasionally until nuts have softened and look slightly translucent, and liquid has reduced significantly (approx. 20 mins).
- Preheat oven to 300F/150C. Line baking tray with parchment paper and pour nut mixture overtop in an even layer. Bake until golden (approx. 10-15 minutes). Let cool completely, then break into small pieces.
For the mousse:
- Add 2 inches water to a small saucepan and bring to simmer. Place a heatproof glass bowl on top of the pot, making sure the bottom of the bowl is not touching the simmering water. Add dark chocolate and coconut oil and stir gently until melted and combined.
- In a food processor (or blender) add silken tofu, melted chocolate, maple syrup, cocoa powder, rum, vanilla, and sea salt. Blend until completely smooth and combined. Chill in fridge for at least 1 hour.
VEGAN – VEGETARIAN – WHEAT-FREE – GLUTEN-FREE – DAIRY-FREE