So I know Starbucks coined the term, “Christmas in a cup,” but I’d like to coin the term “Christmas in a chocolate bark!” Because that is truly what this chocolate bark is – a big celebration of Christmas delight. The combination of dark chocolate, crunchy popcorn, minty candy cane and hazelnuts is all that’s needed to get into the Christmas spirit. There’s no debating about whether to eat chocolate, or popcorn, or candy as you sit down to Love Actually on Netflix, you can have them all! Because it’s Christmas for heavens sake – which means red and white stretchy pyjamas are on their way in, and tight skinny jeans on their way out (at least until after the holidays). So get changed, turn on that twinkling tree and grab this Popcorn Candy Cane Bark!
Mitch and I have been relishing in this popcorn bark all week long – actually our show of choice has been The Crown, which for some reason seems Christmasy to me. Maybe it’s all those avant garde costumes, British accents, and classical music? But regardless of the reason the 10-epi series has required multiple candy cane bark re-makes. Yes, I know this recipe says it can feed up to 10, but maybe I should lower it to 2 chocolate addicts! And with this obsession we’ve realized that this chocolate bark is going down in 2016 as our favourite Christmas snack! Why? Because it’s flavours are an overload of sensory magic! It’s sweet, creamy and smooth from the chocolate base, crunchy and minty from the smashed candy cane, nutty from the hazelnut, and savoury from the popcorn! It takes your taste buds on a sensory sleigh ride as it discovers new flavours and textures in every bite.
But not only does this chocolate bark taste good, it’s sooo pretty too! Just looking at this bark gets me in the Christmas spirit. Often times I’ve thought about sticking some golden ribbon onto each corner and hanging them on the tree. But better yet I’ve used it for gifting DIY presents for family, neighbours and friends. I figure it’s better use going under the Christmas tree than on it 😉
And making this Christmas masterpiece couldn’t be easier! Simply melt dark chocolate in a double boiler. Line a square baking tin with parchment paper and pour in the gooey chocolate drizzle. Then sprinkle the melted chocolate with smashed candy cane, hazelnuts and popcorn! Pop in the freezer to harden for an hour and there ya have it! It’s so easy you could do it in your sleep. Or even at midnight while putting those pressies under the tree – as we’re playing Santa anyways why not create a Christmas miracle?
Hope you enjoy this Popcorn Candy Cane Bark as much as I do. Happy snacking!
Popcorn Candy Cane Bark
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/3 cup popcorn kernels
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1/4 cup hazelnuts chopped
- 1 candy cane chopped
- Add 3 tbsp coconut oil to a large saucepan and bring to medium-high heat. Add 3-4 kernels, cover with a lid and wait for each to pop. Then add the remaining kernels and cover again. Let kernels pop, occasionally shaking the pot by gently moving it back and forth over the burner to encourage more popping. When you can no longer hear popping remove from heat and transfer popcorn to a bowl.
- Add 2 inches water to a saucepan and bring to a simmer. Place a large glass bowl on top (making sure the bottom of the bowl is not touching the water). Break chocolate into chunks and add to glass bowl with 1 tsp coconut oil. Let melt, stirring occasionally until smooth.
- Line a 7x7 baking dish with parchment paper. When chocolate is melted pour into the baking dish. Sprinkle with popcorn, chopped hazelnuts and candy cane. Freeze for 1 hour, or until solid.
- Once solid, break chocolate into rough chunks to make "bark" like pieces.
VEGAN – VEGETARIAN – WHEAT-FREE – GLUTEN-FREE – DAIRY-FREE – SOY-FREE