If you’re looking to replace turkey with a festive vegan alternative then look no further than these holiday festive falafels. They’re a perfect meaty(free) dish for any holiday gathering, be it Thanksgiving or Christmas. I will be serving them this Thanksgiving weekend alongside my quick and easy vegan gravy. MmmmMmmmm!
Whether you’re vegan or not, you’re going to love these holiday festive falafels. They are comforting and cozy, crispy out the outside with a soft meaty interior, and full of deep umami flavour. And they’re vegan and gluten-free. So you can enjoy the Holiday’s meat-free with no compromise on taste.
Now, let me tell you exactly what’s in these Holiday Festive Falafels, so you can make them at your next gathering.
How to make Holiday Festive Falafels (no meatballs)
So, let’s talk a bit about the ingredients for making these holiday festive falafels. You’ll need:
- coconut oil
- almond butter
- nutritional yeast
The ingredients combined come alive in these falafels, for a deep flavoured, rich and comforting taste.
Certainly, the mushrooms play a big role in taste and texture. They’re often used in vegan “meat” dishes to replicate a meaty texture. As for taste, the mushrooms offer a deep and satiating flavour. Alongside almond butter, tamari and spices, you’ve got lots of umami flavours in this mix.
All-in-all the ingredients gives these falafels rich and deep flavour, for a festive seasonal falafel to enjoy during the holidays.
Watch my latest video:
For the vegan gravy
Although not necessary, I find my quick and easy vegan gravy takes these falafels to next level cozy. Certainly, this vegan gravy is flavour-rich, with all the umami we’re looking for in a stellar sauce. It’s perfect for drizzling on these festive falafels, or my stuffed baked potatoes, to add more richness to the dish.
And with only 7-ingredients it’s quick to make. You can truly leave it to the last minute (which is a bonus when we have a million dishes to prepare). Enjoy this quick and easy vegan gravy alongside your favourite comforting winter dishes. We especially love to make it around the holidays, like Thanksgiving and Christmas.
A few tips for making these Holiday Festive Falafels
To make these festive falafels you’ll begin by sautéing your mushrooms and onion.
Then transfer to a food processor with the rest of your ingredients (except the parsley) and blend together.
I like to add only 1/2 cup oats to begin with. Because the amount of oats will depend on how wet/dry the falafel mixture is when combined. The oats in this recipe helps to bind the falafels. And I like to add anywhere between 1/2-1 cup oats to get the right consistency. You want to be able to form balls with the falafels without it being too sticky and wet. So start with 1/2 to begin with, and add more in batches until consistency is thick and malleable.
Another tip for easier rolling is to chill the falafel mixture in the fridge for at least one hour. This gives sufficient time for the ingredients to chill and bind. Then form the dough balls on a baking tray using a spoon, or your hands.
If you’re looking to save time, or have lots of recipes to prepare for your holiday gathering, it’s helpful to know that this falafel mixture can be made a day in advanced. Simply blend the ingredients together in your food processor, and keep covered in fridge until you’re ready to use.
Other recipes you might like
If you’re digging these festive falafels you might like to serve along side these dishes for a festive dinner:
- Stuffed baked potatoes with mushroom and spinach
- Quick and easy vegan gravy
- Vegan pumpkin soup
- Harvest kale caesar salad
- Spiced roasted pumpkin with hazelnut and hummus
- 10-minute miso corn on the cob
Or, try my classic baked falafels:
Shop my kitchen
I’m often asked what items I like to use in the kitchen. So, I’ve included my favourites for making these vegan Festive Falafels. You can find more of my favourite kitchen items on the shop page.
not exactly the same, but very similar to the food processor I have
And there we have it. Some delicious vegan festive falafels to ensure you won’t be missing a meaty dish at your dinner. Vegan or not, everyone can get on board these tasty festive falafels. Enjoy every delicious bite!
And, if you do make this recipe please let me know in the comments below what you think! I love hearing from you. And of course, tag me on Instagram with the hashtag #twospoons. Nothing makes me happier than to see your recreations.
Holiday Festive Falafels (no meatballs)
- 0.5-1 cup gluten-free oats
- 3 cloves garlic , diced
- 1 small white onion , diced
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 5 cups cremini mushrooms , sliced (1 large box)
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 2 tsp gluten-free tamari
- 1/2 lemon , juiced
- 2 tbsp almond butter
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- pinch pepper
- 1/2 cup parsley , chopped and tightly packed
- vegan gravy , to drizzle
- In your food processor add oats, pulse into a flour-like substance. Remove from food processor and place to the side.
- In a skillet add diced garlic and onion with coconut oil. Bring to medium heat and add mushrooms. Cook stirring often until browned and ready to eat (10-15 minutes). Transfer to food processor along with 1/2 cup oats, chickpeas, tamari, lemon juice, almond butter, nutritional yeast, cumin, paprika, sea salt and pepper. Blend until smooth and combined.
- Next add remaining 1/2 cup oats in batches. Blend and check consistency, if too sticky add more oats to the mixture. You should be able to form into rough balls with a spoon (I used 1 cup ground oats in total.). Finally, add in chopped parsley and pulse until combined. Cover falafel mix and chill in fridge for at least one hour. (This will make forming balls easier).
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C..Line a baking tray with parchment paper and scoop rounded tablespoon amounts of dough onto parchment paper, and gently form balls. (I used a spoon to do this). Bake falafels for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown. Optional to drizzle with my Quick and Easy Vegan Gravy (recipe link in notes).
VEGAN – VEGETARIAN – WHEAT-FREE – GLUTEN-FREE – DAIRY-FREE