Introducing these healthy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. And the only oatmeal chocolate chip cookie recipe you’ll ever need.
They are soft and chewy, oaty, golden and sweet, with big chocolate chunks! It takes just 10 ingredients to make these healthy chocolate chip cookies. And they’re vegan and gluten-free.
And turns out, it’s actually really easy to make oatmeal chocolate chip cookies vegan and healthy without compromising on taste.
With a few simple substitutions you’ve got a delicious vegan chocolate chip cookie, and no-one will tell the difference.
So, let me tell you exactly how to make these oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. So you can get noshing pronto!
Healthy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies recipe
The ingredients for this recipe are simple and straight forward. Which is why I have given it my newbie cook stamp of approval.
Everyone can make this recipe, and it’s likely you already have the ingredients in your pantry.
For this recipe you will need:
- almond flour
- gluten-free flour
- baking powder
- sea salt
- coconut oil
- maple syrup
- chocolate chips
How to make oatmeal chocolate chip cookies:
Making these oatmeal chocolate chip cookies couldn’t be more simple. Essentially, you will combine all the dry ingredients (except your chocolate chips) in one bowl, and mix to combine. Then add your wet ingredients and mix together.
Finally, finish by folding in the chocolate chips. It’s really that simple to do.
Next, we will chill the dough for 20-30 minutes in the fridge. (See Tips for this recipe) as to why. Then roll the dough into little balls and flatten onto two baking trays.
Bake cookies in the oven for 10-12 minutes, or until golden.
Tips for this recipe
My first tip for this recipe is to use big chocolate chunks, instead of chocolate chips. For no other reason that it’s just more delicious and decadent to bite into big chunks of chocolate. For cookies and other baking, I like to use semi-sweet chocolate chips or chunks.
My fave for this recipe is the chocolate mega chunks by Enjoy Life. They are certified vegan and gluten-free, and really tasty! I use them all the time for baking.
Chilling the dough
You might notice that this oatmeal chocolate chip cookie dough is a little sticky. Which makes it tricky for rolling into balls. This is why I recommend to chill the dough.
Chilling the dough for 20-30 minutes helps tremendously for non-sticky dough that’s malleable and easy to handle.
If you do notice after chilling that you’re hands are sticking to the dough after rolling a few, simply give them a wash with clean water and continue on.
Other recipes you might like:
If you’re digging this recipe, you might also like these cookie recipes:
- Flourless Chocolate Chip Cookies (vegan + gluten-free)
- Vegan Raspberry Almond Linzer Cookies
- Vegan Shortbread Cookies
- Soft and Chewy Gingerbread Cookies
So there we have it. A simple healthy chocolate chip cookie recipe that’s chewy, sweet, oaty and chocolatey! It takes just 10 ingredients to make and are such a crowd pleaser. I think you’re going to love these vegan chocolate chip cookies as much as we do.
And, if you do make this recipe please let me know in the comments below what you think! I love hearing from you. And of course, tag me on Instagram with the hashtag #twospoons. Nothing makes me happier than to see your recreations.
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Make "chia eggs" by whisking together ground chia and water. Let sit for at least 5 mins.
- In a large mixing bowl combine oats, almond flour, gluten-free flour, baking powder, sea salt and cinnamon. Mix to combine.
- In a separate smaller bowl, combine your wet ingredients: chia eggs, melted coconut oil, maple syrup, and vanilla. Whisk to combine.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir to form a sticky dough. Add chocolate chunks and mix again. Cover bowl with clean dish towel and refrigerate cookie dough mixture for 20-30 minutes (this allows for easier, non-sticky rolling).
- Preheat oven to 350F/175C. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and gently form dough into balls, about the size of a golf ball. Place cookie dough balls on baking tray, approx. 2 inches apart from each other, and push down to flatten. Bake cookies for 10-12 mins. Or until golden and browned.
VEGAN – GLUTEN-FREE – SOY-FREE