Hi guys! It’s been a couple weeks since I shared a new recipe here, and I apologize for that! It’s been a whirlwind of a May! After coming back from our trip to Australia, my husbands parent’s were visiting, followed by a one week trip to Brittany with my family, followed by my french exam (gosh I hope I passed), followed by my sister and best friend coming to visit me! Wooosh! There goes my May! hehe. And although it’s been a blast I’m so happy to be back into routine. I love the feeling of being back in my kitchen cooking homemade meals again, perusing through my own pantry and sharing recipes again!
So i’m stopping the mini hiatus right here, right now, by sharing this gorgeous Charred Asparagus and Mango-Tomato Salsa. This recipe is fresh, clean and green, and perfect for asparagus season! It’s that time of year when fresh and seasonal fruits and veg are flocking the markets again. Goodbye root vegetables and hello spring greens! And of the first to come, is asparagus. I think pretty much everyone is thrilled to see this handsome veg comeback. It’s a classic veg that never goes out of style. Regardless of whether you’re vegan or paleo, asparagus is sure to please the masses.
This recipe celebrates this crowd-pleasing vegetable, for a 20-minute asparagus recipe that will have you making the most of the season. It is,
– Clean and green
– Crunchy and sweet
– Bright and citrusy
There are so many flavours accomplished in this simple recipe to give it lots of punch. To begin, I’ve fried the asparagus with coconut oil on high heat for 2-3 minutes in my cast-iron skillet, just to char them a little. As for the tomato-mango salsa: it’s a blend of fresh cut tomato, radish, mango, cilantro, and chives. It’s so fresh and clean. I’ve brightened the mix with freshly squeezed lemon juice and added salt and pepper to enhance all the flavours. You won’t believe how a little citrus, salt and pepper takes the flavour to the next level.
I really love how the mango-tomato salsa pairs with this fried asparagus. Even the salsa on it’s own is a dream! At the end of the meal I was using bread to sop up any of the remaining juice. The salsa is so clean and bright, and the asparagus adds a nice earthy balance from being charred. It is a PREMIUM combo!
So don’t miss out on asparagus season with this wonderful Charred Asparagus with Mango-Tomato Salsa! Time to dust off that bbq and crack open the beer, because summer sides are calling with this gorgeous asparagus recipe.
Charred Asparagus with Mango Tomato Salsa
- 9 oz cherry tomatoes sliced (250g)
- 1/4 cup radish chopped
- 1/2 mango cubed
- 2 tbsp cilantro finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chives finely chopped
- 1/2 lemon juiced, plus more if needed
- pinch sea salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 bunch asparagus (315g)
- more sea salt and pepper to taste
- In a mixing bowl add sliced cherry tomatoes, chopped radish and cubed mango. Sprinkle with cilantro and chives, and drizzle with lemon juice. Mix to combine and season with salt and pepper. Let sit for 15 minutes to absorb flavours.
- In a cast iron skillet add 1 tbsp coconut oil, bring to high heat. Chop the light ends off your asparagus and discard, keeping the fresh green tips. Toss asparagus into cast iron skillet and char, stirring often for 2-3 minutes, or until bright green and slightly blackened in places.
- Transfer charred asparagus onto a serving tray and top with mango-tomato salsa. Sprinkle with more sea salt and pepper and serve.
VEGAN – VEGETARIAN – WHEAT-FREE – GLUTEN-FREE – DAIRY-FREE – SOY-FREE – NUT-FREE