Donuts for dinner? Don’t mind if I do! Sweet meets savoury with these delicious sushi donuts, and it’s totally working for me! I mean, who doesn’t want a plate of donuts for dinner?
As you can see I’ve been having WAY too much fun in the kitchen playing with rice – first turning them into Fluffy Rice Clouds, and now into these savoury sushi donuts. I can’t stop playing with my food! But who knew there were so many ways to spruce up the plain and simple rice? What would you like to see next? A Stormtrooper? The White House? You got it!
Actually, the inspiration for these sushi donuts came from SAM at So Beautifully Real. Her donut creations literally make my jaw drop at the touch of the button hitting Instagram. This girl takes the cake, literally, for the most drool-worthy sweets that has me babbling like a baby. I saw that she had been experimenting with some savoury style sushi donuts, transitioning them from the staple dessert to dinner, and decorating the donuts with savoury toppings like sliced avocado and sesame.
So here’s is my rendition of the sushi donut; dressed in colourful toppings like pink radish, orange and purple carrot, cabbage, cucumber, green onion and sesame. Served with avocado on the side of course – and intentional decision as my avo to rice ratios are out of control. Dunk these in some soy sauce and it’s the perfect combo; like donuts and coffee, one would say. There is something to say about decorating your dinner – because I swear, everything tastes better when it’s in the shape of a donut!
Donut believe me? Try it for yourself! 😉
- 2 cups water
- 1 cups sushi rice
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp raw cane sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/4 cup purple cabbage thinly sliced
- 1/4 cucumber thinly sliced
- 1 carrot thinly sliced
- 2 radish thinly sliced
- 1 avocado thinly sliced
- tamari for dipping, or soy sauce
- And water and rice to a pot and bring to boil. Then reduce heat to simmer, cover with a lid, and cook for 20 minutes, or until cooked through.
- In a saucepan combine rice vinegar, cane sugar, salt and sesame oil. Bring to low heat and stir to combine.
- When rice is cooked remove from heat and pour in the liquid mixture in batches, stirring rice to combine.
- Cover pot of rice with clean dish towel and let sit for 10-15 minutes. Then scoop rice onto a clean surface and spread it out to cool slightly before handling.
- Prepare your veggies for topping: Using a vegetable peeler thinly slice the cucumber and carrots lengthwise into thin ribbons. Thinly slice radish and avocados.
- When rice is cool enough to handle lather donut moulds with a bit of sesame oil. (I used a 6-cavity silicon donut mould for this). Scoop rice into donut moulds to cover. Pulling apart the rice in the middle to form a hollow circle. Then flip mould onto a flat surface to expose donut shapes.
- Decorate each donut with cabbage, cucumber, carrots, radish, and avocado. Serve with tamari, or soy sauce. (Option to also serve with any remaining veggies on the side).
VEGAN – VEGETARIAN – DAIRY-FREE – NUT-FREE