Oh my these Roasted Hasselback Potatoes with Sweet Fig, Caramelized Onion and Mushroom… If you’re looking to up your potato game this is it. These potatoes are cut in hasselback form offering ribbony layers when golden and cooked. They’re then stuffed with pan roasted sweet figs, caramelized onion and earthy mushrooms. No more are the days of plain ol’ boiled potatoes; these pots are fit for the Queen.
I love this hasselback cut! Created by cutting into the potatoes very thinly to allow the potato to fan out when cooked. I like to peel each layer off as I eat them, giving me these ultra thin, round, and slightly crunchy scallop meets roasted potato feel. The hasselback potatoes are then paired with a fusion of sweet figs, caramelized onion and earthy mushrooms; taking it from every day to evening gourmet! The mix of flavours both classic and new in this dish are so umami you will consider opening your own hipster chic restaurant with hasselback everything on the menu! Top these babies with some thyme and sesame and you’ve got a plate worthy of resto status.
Or ya know, a dinner gathering with friends and family will do just fine for flaunting this dish. And if you’re worried that the hasselback cut might be too difficult to replicate let me assure you it isn’t! This was the very first time I’d ever made hasselback potatoes and it was simple! Hasselback may look like an expert chef trick, but the steps are easy-peasy your-10-year-old-can-do-this-squeezy (that is, if you allow your kids to handle sharp knives? Better I stick to cooking advice for adults…). So for those of you 18+ listen up! Here’s some tips on how to make these pretty ribbony hasselback potatoes:
Tip 1 – Cut into the potato widthways, moving top to bottom, and try making the layers as thin as you can. The thinner you make the layers the easier they will be able to fan out when baked.
Tip 2 – Don’t cut all the way through the potato, instead cut as far down into the potato as you can, stopping at about 1/2 to 1-inch before cutting through entirely.
Tip 3 – Use a sharp knife, preferably shorter, so that you have more control over the cut. This will help you from pushing too hard and cutting entirely through the potato. I like to use my sharp Miyabi pairing knife for this one!
Once you’ve cut the potatoes hasselback style paint them with some oil, trying your best to get into the grooves, and place in the oven to cook until golden brown. Then, decorate the hasselbacks with cooked figs, onion, mushroom, thyme and sesame. That’s it! A gourmet dish that stands up to champagne and caviar. And will have you and your loved ones falling in love with baked potatoes all over again.
My last tip of advice – beware that these beloved potatoes don’t get swept away while you’re not looking, cuz I can promise they will be a hot commodity at your next dinner party! Best to watch your (hassel)backs until all those guests arrive! 😉
Roasted Hasselback Potatoes with Figs, Caramelized Onion and Mushroom
- 2 lb russet potatoes
- 1/4 cup avocado oil or neutral oil of choice
- 1/8 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion thinly sliced
- 2 cup cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1/4 cup dried figs chopped
- 3 tbsp thyme
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C. Begin making your hasselback potatoes; slice into your potato widthways making thin layers from top to bottom. Be sure not to cut all the way through the potato, instead cut as far down into the potato as you can, stopping at about 1/2-inch before cutting through entirely.
- Paint potatoes with with 2-3 tbsp oil, trying your best to get into the grooves. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and place in the oven to cook for 40 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, cook your onion, fig and mushroom medley. Bring skillet to medium-high heat and add 1 tbsp oil. Add onions and a pinch salt and pepper. Cook onions until softened (approx 10 mins). Next add mushrooms and thyme, cook until veg is soft and caramelized (15 mins). Finally add chopped dried fig. Stir to combine.
- Top eat hasselback potato with mushroom medley. Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.
VEGAN – VEGETARIAN – WHEAT-FREE – GLUTEN-FREE – DAIRY-FREE – NUT-FREE – SOY-FREE