Hiya friends! I am so excited to be sharing this Instant Pot Dal recipe with you! I cannot believe just how easy it was to make – like literally one of the easiest recipes I’ve ever done, and it’s so so yummy. I made it twice last week and we have thoroughly enjoyed the leftovers for lunch.
Lucky me, I received an Instant Pot for Christmas, and it’s totally speeding up my cooking game. I hope to share more Instant pot recipes with you as I create new and exciting recipes, as I am so very pleased with how this one turned out!
All-in-all this is an ultra-fast and luxurious dal recipe that will take you 20 minutes to make. It’s full of flavour and is so warm and hearty. I know you’re going to L.O.V.E it as much as we do!
So, let me tell you exactly how to make it so that you can enjoy it pronto!
Dal Recipe Instant Pot
Making dal is so simple, and can easily be made vegan by swapping the gee for coconut oil or vegan butter. (I like coconut oil).
And if it wasn’t already easy, doing it in the Instant Pot just made it even simpler! The pressure cooker speeds up the cooking time so that you can have your recipe completely finished in 20 minutes! (And all in one Instant pot). I like to serve mine with naan bread or basmati rice.
I felt thoroughly inspired to try my hand and cooking dal in the instant pot after seeing Bon Appetit’s Instant Pot Dal Formula. They made it look all too easy. Certainly, they were right.
This Instant Pot Dal is:
- quick and easy to make
- deeply spiced, full of flavour, and aromatic
- creamy and luxurious
- stew-like or porridge-like in consistency
- healthy, protein packed and fibre fuelled
- wholesome and satiating
You won’t believe that a recipe so easy can achieve so much depth and flavour. In fact, you’d think you had to slave over the pot for the entire day just achieve its perfect taste. This is the miracle of dal. It’s so simple yet so luxurious.
How to make dal in the Instant Pot
So, how do you make dal in the Instant pot?
It begins by sautéing the onion, garlic, coconut oil and spices on the “Saute” function for a few minutes until soft.
Then we scoop out the spiced mixture and add the lentils and water. Pressure cook for 10 minutes.
Once ready, we add back in the spice mixture, along with diced tomato and a bit of coconut cream.
Voila. You got yourself a gorgeous bowl of Dal! I told you it was easy! Serve with naan bread or basmati rice, or enjoy on it’s own like a stew.
Other recipes you might like:
If you’re digging this curry recipe, you might also like these:
- Cauliflower Chickpea Curry
- Vegan Butter Chicken
- Quick Chickpea Curry
- Vegan Potato and Cauliflower Curry
So there we have it. A very easy recipe for Instant Pot Dal. I know you’re going to love this quick and luxurious dal recipe as much as we do.
And, if you do make this recipe please let me know in the comments below what you think! I truly love hearing from you, and I’m always here to answer any questions you might have. And of course, tag me on Instagram with your pictures using the hashtag #twospoons. Nothing makes me happier than to see your recreations.
Instant Pot Dal
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion , finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic , finely chopped
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 cup green lentils (dry)
- 1 can diced tomatoes , strained (795 mL/28 fl oz)
- 1/3 cup coconut cream
- 1/2 lime , juiced
- fresh cilantro for garnish, finely chopped
- In a small bowl combine the spice mixture: curry powder, chili powder, cumin, paprika, and chili flakes. Set aside.
- Turn the Instant Pot to "Sauté" setting and add the coconut oil, onion and garlic. Cook for 1-2 minutes, then add the spice mixture along with 2 tbsp water. Cook until the onions have softened. Then hit "Cancel," and scoop out the spiced mixture.
- Add the lentils to the Instant Pot along with 3 cups of water. Cover and seal the lid with the vent turned to sealing. Hit the "Pressure Cook" button and set it to 10 minutes. (It takes a few minutes for the Instant pot to come to pressure. Then the timer will begin countdown).
- When the timer is complete, move the toggle to release the pressure. (It's helpful to put a kitchen towel over top to catch the steam). Let sit for 5 minutes, then open the lid.
- Transfer the spice mixture back into the Instant Pot along with the diced tomatoes and coconut cream. Squeeze in the lime juice Mix and mix well to combine. Serve immediately, or hit the "keep warm" button until ready to eat. Scoop into bowls and garnish with fresh cilantro. Serve this Dal on it's own, or with naan bread, or basmati rice.
VEGAN – GLUTEN-FREE – DAIRY-FREE – SUGAR-FREE – SOY-FREE – NUT-FREE
Pin it on Pinterest!
Save this recipe for later. Pin it on Pinterest!