Hi guys! I wanted to share a little weekend baking inspo for my healthy hazelnut granola! I absolutely love having homemade granola in the house. I’ll pack it as a snack to go, or sprinkle it on top of my fruit and yogurt parfaits for breakfast. Or, I’ll grab a little juice cup and pour some in with almond milk for dessert. (Yes, I think a cup of granola with mylk makes a great dessert – don’t judge me).
What we can all agree on though, is that this healthy hazelnut granola is a wondergood combo. Made with nuts, seeds and gentle spices, and sweetened lightly with agave it’s a perfect blend. This healthy hazelnut granola is one of my favourites that I’ve made to date because it truly is minimalist. The ingredients are simple for a crisp, bright, and wholesome granola. You won’t find a store-bought version like this one.
In fact, it’s the long list of ingredients that bothers me the most about store-bought granolas. Unless you’re buying from an artisan market most store bought granolas are chocoblocked with sugars, flavouring and other unpronounceable ingredients. In the end they have very little to do with nuts, seeds and oats. I really love this granola mix because you know exactly what’s gone into making it. A perfectly proportioned mix of nuts, seeds, and oats for a crunchy and wholesome experience.
Not only is making your own granola good for knowing exactly what’s inside, but it makes your house smell like a dream! I love baking up a batch on weekends to fill my home with the sweet scent of roasted oats and nuts. It’s euphoric. Plus, the recipe is really straight forward – unlike most baked goods, where you have to worry about ratios and whether the batter will rise, homemade granola is simple and straight forward.
Simply toss all the dry ingredients in a bowl, mix with your wet ingredients, lay on a baking tray and stick in the oven for 20 minutes. In less than 30 minutes you have a golden granola mix, and your house smells like a modern day Martha Stewart. Just enough time to sneak in a Friends episode on Netflix while the magic happens.
If you ask what I love most about this granola, I’d have to say the spices. I am so in love with the flavour combo of cinnamon and cardamom for a bright and wholesome blend. I know what you might be thinking – cardamom in granola? All I can say is try it! I first started using cardamom in sweets in my Raspberry Crumble Granola Bars, and ever since I’ve been obsessed. I add cardamom to so many sweet treats now, like Apple Crumble Bars and Bircher Bowls. It’s adds such a wonderfully earthy and spiced flavour to a sweet dish. Just give it a go!
That’s all there is to making this sweet Healthy Hazelnut Granola. I think you’re going to love this one to nosh on through the week. And, if you do make this recipe please let me know in the comments below what you think! I love hearing from you. And of course, tag me on Instagram with the hashtag #twospoons. Nothing makes me happier than to see your recreations.
Healthy Hazelnut Granola
- 3 cup gluten-free large flake oats
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts , chopped
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup coconut shavings
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1/2 tsp sea salt , finely ground
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup agave
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a mixing bowl add dry ingredients: oats, hazelnuts, almonds, coconut shavings, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, ground cinnamon, ground cardamom, and sea salt. Mix to combine.
- In a saucepan melt coconut oil on medium high heat, add agave and vanilla extract and mix to combine. Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Preheat oven to 300F/150C. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and spread granola onto tray laying flat as you can. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden. (Remove from oven after first 10 minutes to give it a quick stir, to ensure all sides are evenly toasted). When golden remove from oven and let cool completely. Break into pieces and store in jars. Enjoy on its own, sprinkled over coconut yogurt, or in a bowl with berries and almond milk.
VEGAN – VEGETARIAN – WHEAT-FREE – GLUTEN-FREE – DAIRY-FREE – SOY-FREE