Time to fire up your oven because these potatoes are coming at ya hot! This recipe is for my Garlicky Smashed Potatoes with Harissa Yogurt, and it is ON FUEGO. Made by roasting potatoes in garlic and olive oil and dipping into a tangy and spiced harissa yogurt, you are going to lose your mind over this one.
I made these smashes potatoes last week, and it took every fibre in my being not to face plant into the platter before taking some shots for the blog. I literally I had to keep a few spares to the side and dip and munch as I went, because the aroma of perfectly fried potatoes and spicy dip was too intoxicating to resist. It’s a miracle I didn’t drool over the entire plate.
I love this roasted potato recipe because it is a crowd pleaser with the vegan skeptics. I mean, who doesn’t love a perfectly roasted potato infused in garlic and drizzled in oil? There is a reason why potatoes are a point of pride across the nation – and I’m pretty sure it wasn’t the vegan community who made it famous. Whether you’re young or old, vegan or not, there is nothing as welcoming and comforting as tucking into a perfectly salted, hot and crunchy potato. These smashed potatoes are no exception. It’s dead impossible to turn down this plate being passed your way at dinner, and near impossible to continue passing it along to the next person anxiously waiting.
For the dip, I’ve mixed Indian harissa spice with soy yogurt, garlic and citrus lime. It is dynamite. It makes the perfect pair to these potatoes being spicy, but also tangy and refreshing. (Side note: If you prefer not to use soy yogurt, you can also use coconut yogurt or plain almond yogurt. But I really liked the soy version).
The whole platter is generously sprinkled with sea salt, more olive oil to drizzle, and fresh basil. You’re welcome for that. It’s a simple combo sent from the heavens. I’m thinking this roasted potato recipe should be coined “summer side of the year” because it’s certainly a plant-based recipe worth sharing.
I really can’t say anymore about this beautiful baked potato recipe than you’ve got to try it too. I’ve no doubt you’re going to fall hard for this one. Now, whose up for a round of hot potatoes? It’s time to go to town on these taters.
Garlicky Smashed Potatoes with Harissa Yogurt
- 1 1/2 lbs baby potatoes
- 1/4 cup olive oil plus more to drizzle
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- sea salt and pepper to sprinkle
- 1/4 cup fresh basil chopped, to sprinkle
For the Harissa Yogurt
- 1/2 cup soy yogurt or coconut yogurt
- 1 tbsp harissa powder
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 lime juiced
- sea salt
- Preheat oven to 450F/230C. Bring a large pot of water to boil, toss in potatoes. Boil potatoes for 10-15 minutes, or until just tender (you wan't to be able to pierce them with a fork using a bit of pressure). Strain and let cool slightly, pat dry.
- Line two baking trays with tin foil and grease with a bit of oil. Place potatoes on trays about 1-2 inches apart and smash the potatoes using the back of a fork to open.
- Mix 4 tbsp olive oil with chopped garlic; and paint your potatoes with the garlicky olive oil to coat. Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper and place in the oven to roast for 20 minutes, or until golden and crispy.
- Make your harissa yogurt: In a mixing bowl add yogurt, harissa powder, the juice of 1/2 lime and pinch salt. Mix to combine.
- Scoop roasted potatoes on a serving dish, and drizzle with more olive oil. Sprinkle with more sea salt, freshly chopped basil leaves, and cayenne pepper. Serve with harissa yogurt to dip.
VEGAN – VEGETARIAN – WHEAT-FREE – GLUTEN-FREE – DAIRY-FREE – NUT-FREE