Hiya everyone! I hope you’re having a very special weekend. I thought I’d share with you a little #bakinginspo with these vegan Banana Bread Chocolate Chip Muffins. They are cozy and comforting!
This post has been a long time coming as I’ve been looking for ages to make a reliable vegan banana bread recipe for muffins and loafs. Banana bread muffins are a family staple, and one we all need a good go-to recipe for. But vegan banana breads can be a bit tricky – and often I find the recipes come out too heavy or wet. Of course, they are supposed to be more dense than a traditional muffin, we have the banana to thank for that. But I like my baked goods to have a bit of spring when you give them a little “love squeeze.”
And I’m not going to lie – it took me a while to master these Banana Bread Chocolate Chip Muffins, and to have them flawless enough to share on the blog. In my first attempt I added too much liquid and as predicted they were too heavy and dense. But a few mods have resulted in this gorgeous muffin mix that’s moist, and the perfect combo of wholesome and light.
To make the recipe I have used a half-and-half flour blend, using oat flour and regular white flour. I just love the comforting taste that oats bring to baked goods! However using all oats can lead to a too-dense batter, and so the white flour really helps to fluff it up a bit.
For the liquids I’ve used coconut yogurt, chia egg (you can also use flax) and mashed banana. And for the sweetener I’ve used coconut sugar. I’ve mixed the dry and wet ingredients together and finished by folding in some semi-sweet chocolate chips. (Because what’s a banana bread muffin without chocolate!?).
The end result is a moist, spongy and sweet banana bread chocolate chip muffin that will melt your soul. Served with a cup of tea or coffee and it’s truly a vegan bakers dream. We did it folks!
I can’t think of a better way to spend a Sunday than sitting down to these freshly baked muffins. I do hope that you give these gorgeous vegan Banana Bread Chocolate Chip Muffins a try. And, if you do make this recipe please let me know in the comments below what you think! I love hearing from you. And of course, tag me on Instagram with the hashtag #twospoons. Nothing makes me happier than to see your recreations.
Banana Bread and Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 2 tbsp ground chia (you can also used ground flax)
- 6 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup large flake oats
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp sea salt, finely ground
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup coconut yogurt (or other plain plant-based yogurt of choice)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed banana (I used 3 bananas)
- 3/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Make chia egg by combining ground chia and water in a bowl. Whisk with a fork and let sit for 10 minutes. In a blender or food processor pulse oats until powder form. Pour into mixing bowl. Sift all purpose flour into bowl. Add baking soda, salt, and cinnamon and mix to combine.
- In a saucepan melt coconut oil on medium high heat. Remove and pour into large mixing bowl with coconut sugar, coconut yogurt, vanilla and chia egg. Whisk together to combine. Add flour mixture to liquid and mix until just combined. Then add mashed banana and mix again. Pour in chocolate chips and gently fold into batter.
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Add muffin cups to tray and scoop the batter mixture into cups until 3/4 full. Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes, or until golden and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
VEGAN – VEGETARIAN – DAIRY-FREE – SOY-FREE – NUT-FREE